In-Person Walk: Chowringhee Architecture
Time & Location
About the Event
In a bid to establish Calcutta as the second capital of the British empire, the colonial rulers incorporated aspects of Greco-Roman architecture into the local landscape. The erstwhile “white town” stands as testament to these efforts to adapt this alien building style for the unforgiving conditions of Calcutta’s climate. On this walk we explore the area which grew from a village on the outskirts into an entertainment and recreational hub of the city, giving Calcutta its moniker the “City of Palaces” - Chowringhee.
The walk traces the history of the area and beyond through its planning, architecture, establishments, and people.
All participants must strictly adhere to the following safety protocols in light of the COVID-19 pandemic:
- No last-minute walk-ins/registrations allowed
- Cash payments will not be accepted. Bookings will be confirmed only on receipt of payment via online modes.
- Participants must not attend the tour if they are suffering from any symptoms of illness. If you develop symptoms after registering for the walk, please email us on email@example.com for a refund.
- Participants will be subject to thermal screening upon arrival at meeting point.
- Participants must wear a mask that covers their nose and mouth at all times.
- Participants must maintain a minimum distance of 1m from each other.
- Participants must carry their own hand sanitizers and water bottles.
In the event of non-compliance of the protocols mentioned above, Immersive Trails reserves the right to remove the concerned participant(s) from the tour at any point of time.
By registering for the walk, the participants accept responsibility for any adverse event(s) that may arise post the completion of the walk and cannot hold the management responsible.
Walk Leader: Anmol Grover
- Chowringhee Architecture TrailINR 650+INR 117 GSTINR 650+INR 117 GST0INR 0